Lecturer. University of Illinois at Chicago. 2018 - Present.
- Full-time faculty member in the Department of English at University of Illinois at Chicago; primarily teaching poetry and composition
- Poetry courses explore the construction of voice in British and American poetry, strongly focusing on the relationship between form and content
- First-Year Writing courses use social justice as both mirror and lens en route to academic writing with an emphasis on critical inquiry, rhetoric, and the discovery of voice in varying discourse communities
Instructor. Summer Enrichment Writing Workshop. University of Illinois at Chicago. 2017 - Present.
- SEWW courses provide incoming freshman placed into preparatory writing courses the opportunity to sharpen their writing skills before coming to UIC in the fall--helping students brush up on grammar, note-taking, critical thinking and reading skills, general study skills, and allowing them a chance to petition for higher course placement
DEPARTMENTAL AND UNIVERSITY SERVICE
Committee Member. First-Year Writing Committee. Department of English. Fall 2018 - Present.
Faculty Mentor. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Initiative. University of Illinois at Chicago. Fall 2018 - Spring 2019.
Faculty Mentor. English 555 Practicum: Teaching College Writing. Fall 2018.
M.F.A. in Creative Writing, Roosevelt University, Chicago, Illinois, December 2012.
- Master’s Thesis: The Upper Peninsula Misses You, Interim Director: Peggy Shinner, Thesis Chair: Kathleen Rooney.
Credential in the Teaching of Writing, Roosevelt University, Chicago, Illinois, December 2012. Interim Director: Amanda Wornhoff.
B.A. in English, University of Iowa, May 2008.
Visiting Lecturer. University of Illinois at Chicago. 2016 - 2018.
- Full-time faculty member in the Department of English at University of Illinois at Chicago, primarily teaching courses in the First-Year Writing Program
Adjunct Professor, English 101, Harry S. Truman College, Spring 2016.
- Composition course with the aim of developing critical and analytical skills in writing and reading expository prose that was situated around the discovery of voice in three different discourse venues--the academic community, the classroom, and in writing
Writing Consultant, The Writing Center at Harry S. Truman College, Spring 2016.
- Provide one-on-one consultations with students to discuss their writing assignments with the goal of offering supplement classroom instruction that strengthens their skills and builds their confidence as writers
Visiting Lecturer, English 160, University of Illinois at Chicago, Fall 2015.
- Taught full-time course load (four sections of first-year-writing courses) in the Department of English at University of Illinois at Chicago
Adjunct Professor, Harry S. Truman College, Fall 2013 - Spring 2015.
English 102: Composition course that introduces methods of research and writing of investigative papers
English 101: Composition course with the aim of developing critical and analytical skills in writing and reading expository prose that was situated around the discovery of voice in three different discourse venues--the academic community, the classroom, and in writing
English 98: Composition course with elements of reading, writing, and speaking basic English
Writing Consultant, The Writing Center at Harry S. Truman College, Fall 2013 - Summer 2015.
Adjunct Professor, English 101, Roosevelt University, Fall 2014 .
- Composition course designed to help students gain competence in analytical reading and writing--students engage in writing as a process of critical inquiry, revision and collaboration, and are invited to actively participate in a writing community
Composition Instructor, Truman Middle College, Fall 2013.
- Provide writing instruction to 17 to 21 year olds who dropped out of high school and are looking to earn a high school diploma
Teaching Intern, Roosevelt University, Fall 2012.
- Assisted the professor in a Writing 101 course—duties included creating lessons plans and supplementary materials and leading class on numerous occasions
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Poetry Judge. Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference Writers Festival and Competition. 2017.
Honoring Our Professors' Excellence (HOPE) Award. University of Illinois at Chicago. 2016.
Best of the Net Nominee. 2015.
Blue Fifth Review Featured Poet. 2015.
Best of the Net Nominee. 2014.
Pushcart Prize Nominee. 2014.
Finalist for DIAGRAM Chapbook Contest. 2014.
WRITING AND EDITING EXPERIENCE
Contributor, Chicago Review of Books. 2016 - Present.
Assistant Editor, Oyez Review, Roosevelt University. Fall 2010.
Junior Associate, The Haymarket Group. Chicago, IL. June 2008 - June 2009.
Metro Reporter, The Daily Iowan, University of Iowa. Fall 2006.
Internship in the Teaching of Composition, Roosevelt University, Fall 2012. Instructor: Amanda Wornhoff.
Topics in Literary and Critical Theory, Spring 2012. Instructor: Carrie Brecke.
Composition Theory, Summer 2010. Instructor: Carrie Brecke.
Common Knowledge and Cultural Capital, Spring 2010. Instructor: Priscilla Perkins.