M.F.A. in Creative Writing, Roosevelt University, Chicago, Illinois, December 2012.
- Master’s Thesis: The Upper Peninsula Misses You, Interim Director: Peggy Shinner, Thesis Chair: Kathleen Rooney.
Credential in the Teaching of Writing, Roosevelt University, Chicago, Illinois, December 2012. Interim Director: Amanda Wornhoff.
B.A. in English, University of Iowa, May 2008.
Visiting Lecturer. University of Illinois at Chicago. Fall 2016 - Present.
- Full-time faculty member in the Department of English at University of Illinois at Chicago, primarily teaching courses in the First-Year Writing Program
- Curriculum is situated around the topic of social justice--dealing with critical inquiry, rhetoric, discovery of voice, and the study of various discourse communities--and uses social justice as both mirror and lens en route to conceptualizing, articulating, and crafting an original response or argument
Instructor. Summer Enrichment Writing Workshop. University of Illinois at Chicago. Summer 2017.
- Provide incoming freshman placed into preparatory writing courses the opportunity to sharpen their writing skills before coming to UIC in the fall--helping students brush up on grammar, note-taking, critical thinking and reading skills, general study skills, and allowing them a chance to petition for higher course placement
Adjunct Professor, English 101, Harry S. Truman College, Spring 2016.
- Composition course with the aim of developing critical and analytical skills in writing and reading expository prose that was situated around the discovery of voice in three different discourse venues--the academic community, the classroom, and in writing
Writing Consultant, The Writing Center at Harry S. Truman College, Spring 2016.
- Provide one-on-one consultations with students to discuss their writing assignments with the goal of offering supplement classroom instruction that strengthens their skills and builds their confidence as writers
Visiting Lecturer, English 160, University of Illinois at Chicago, Fall 2015.
- Taught full-time (four sections of first-year-writing courses) in the Department of English at University of Illinois at Chicago
- First-year-writing courses at UIC are informed by the concept of situated writing—the view that writing is crafted in response to a particular situation, within a certain context, and for a specific audience, all of which influences the genres used and forms the writing takes
Adjunct Professor, English 101, Roosevelt University, Fall 2014 - Spring 2015.
- Composition course designed to help students gain competence in analytical reading and writing--students engage in writing as a process of critical inquiry, revision and collaboration, and are invited to actively participate in a writing community
Adjunct Professor, English 102, Harry S. Truman College, Fall 2014.
- Composition course that introduces methods of research and writing of investigative papers
Writing Consultant, The Writing Center at Harry S. Truman College, Fall 2013 - Summer 2015.
Adjunct Professor, English 101, Harry S. Truman College, Fall 2013 - Spring 2015.
Adjunct Professor, English 98, Harry S. Truman College, Fall 2013.
- Composition course with elements of reading, writing, and speaking basic English
Composition Instructor, Truman Middle College, Fall 2013.
- Provide writing instruction to 17 to 21 year olds who dropped out of high school and are looking to earn a high school diploma
Teaching Intern, Roosevelt University, Fall 2012.
- Assisted the professor in a Writing 101 course—duties included creating lessons plans and supplementary materials and leading class on numerous occasions
Internship in the Teaching of Composition, Roosevelt University, Fall 2012. Instructor: Amanda Wornhoff.
Topics in Literary and Critical Theory, Spring 2012. Instructor: Carrie Brecke.
Composition Theory, Summer 2010. Instructor: Carrie Brecke.
Common Knowledge and Cultural Capital, Spring 2010. Instructor: Priscilla Perkins.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Honoring Our Professors' Excellence (HOPE) Award Nominee, University of Illinois at Chicago 2016
Best of the Net Nominee 2015
Blue Fifth Review Featured Poet 2015
Best of the Net Nominee 2014
Pushcart Prize Nominee 2014
Finalist for DIAGRAM Chapbook Contest 2014